Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Coefficient of variation (CV) in WTP-Space to identify attribute non-attendance

Ask questions about post-estimation functions (e.g. prediction, conditionals, etc) or other processing of results.
cybey

Coefficient of variation (CV) in WTP-Space to identify attribute non-attendance

Post by cybey »

Hi, Stephane,

I am currently working on the "Attribute Non-Attendance" problem and found your paper “Hess, Hensher (2010) - Using conditioning on observed choices to retrieve individual-specific attribute processing strategies”. I find the methodology interesting, because I do not need extra questions, e.g. self-reporting questions, to assign respondents to one of the two classes "Did ignore the attribute" or "Did not ignore the attribute". However, the model in the paper is a comparatively simple MIXL model, which was estimated in preference space.

I estimated my model using Apollo and HB in WTP space, including covariates. Now I wonder if and how I can apply the methodology in WTP space. For example, the utility of alternative 1 looks like this:

Code: Select all

V[['alt1']] = b_Preis_value * ( wtp_asc_1_value + wtp_Anbieter2_value * Anbieter2.1 + wtp_Anbieter3_value * Anbieter3.1 +
                                      wtp_Strommix2_value * Strommix2.1 + wtp_Strommix3_value * Strommix3.1 + wtp_Strommix4_value * Strommix4.1 +
                                      wtp_Regioanteil2_value * Regioanteil2.1 + wtp_Regioanteil3_value * Regioanteil3.1 +
                                      Preis.1)
If I understand it correctly, then I must include the uncertainty of the price (here: b_Preis_value) and the uncertainty of the parameter in the respective calculation of the coefficient of variation (CV)? Therefore, I have a product of two random variables, in my case the lognormally distributed price parameter and the normally distributed attribute parameters. Or can I consider the price parameter and the attribute parameters as independent?

With the covariates, on the other hand, I imagine it to be simple, since they are fixed and only enter into the parameter estimation additively. For example:

Code: Select all

wtp_Strommix2_value = wtp_Strommix2 +    
    ## Sociodemographics
    wtp_Gender_Strommix2 * COV_Gender +
    wtp_Age_Strommix2 * COV_Age +
    wtp_Education_Strommix2 * COV_Education +
    wtp_Residence_Strommix2 * COV_Residence
I look forward to your reply.

Many greetings
Nico
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: Coefficient of variation (CV) in WTP-Space to identify attribute non-attendance

Post by stephanehess »

Nico

to do this, I would probably not work in WTP space but in preference space. Then you don't have the issue that you're describing below. But on the other hand, I think in general, ANA does not make sense for price, so you could just focus on your WTP coefficients alone.

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
cybey

Re: Coefficient of variation (CV) in WTP-Space to identify attribute non-attendance

Post by cybey »

Thanks for your answer!
Irrespective of whether the method for the price parameter makes sense or not, would it be valid to carry out the analysis in preference space and transfer the results to the individual respondents in WTP-space? Or could it happen, due to different distributional assumptions, that the attribute of a respondent is "identified" as being ignored in preference space, but not in WTP-Space and vice versa?

Nico
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Nico

the problem is how you would do this. The only option would be to deterministically decide on the basis of the preference space results that a person ignores an attribute and then impose that constrain in the WTP space model, and then reestimate. But that would remove the probabilistic idea of the approach.

Stephane
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
cybey

Post by cybey »

That's exactly what I thought: Estimating the parameters of the MIXL model in preference space, calculating the CV and set the dummy variable to 1 for each attribute and respondent if he or she did ignore the attribute (CV > 2). Based on this, subgroups could be identified and separate models (e.g. two MIXL models) or integrated models (e.g. LC-MIXL) could be estimated?

Nico
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Nico

I wouldn't do this. It's using a probabilistic result (the coefficient of variation) to then deterministically segment the data. The reason we did this in the paper was to highlight that the conditional approach was better at identifying who might have zero valuations, but I wouldn't advocate then using that to segment the data. What you maybe want to do is to use that information to better understand what is different about these people, and incorporate that as covariates

Stephane
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk