Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Extremely large estimated standard deviation from a Mixed Logit model using a lognormal distribution

Ask questions about the results reported after estimation. If the output includes errors, please include your model code if possible.
dpalma

Re: Extremely large estimated standard deviation from a Mixed Logit model using a lognormal distribution

Post by dpalma »

Hi Shan,

Mixed logit models are much more complex than MNL models. As such, their identification is more complicated (see Walker (2002) for a detailed discussion), and there is no guarantee that your data will support a model with several random coefficients due to empirical identification issues (i.e. your data may not contain enough information to estimate the model you want). So running into the issues you mention is actually quite common when estimating mixed logit models.

My recommendation would be to start estimating a simple MNL model first. When you are confident that you found a good utility specification in your MNL, and that your data is well behaved (i.e. does not seem to contain errors), only then I would start estimating mixed logits. When doing mixed logits, I would also start by introducing randomness to a single coefficient at a time, building up the complexity of the model slowly, so you can more easily identify sources of trouble.

About the starting values, when using log-normals I usually start the mu at -3, and the sd at 0, but there is no rule about it. I would just avoid large positive values because they can lead to numerical breakdowns.

Best wishes
David
Shan

Re: Extremely large estimated standard deviation from a Mixed Logit model using a lognormal distribution

Post by Shan »

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. Now, I understand that I can add the random parameters one by one. I am a little confused about how I can take advantage of results from the MNL model. Do you mean that I can only set the statistically significant coefficients from the MNL model as random parameters?

Best,
Shan
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi

what you can do is to use the MNL results as starting values for your randomly distributed coefficients. Of course, if you use lognormals, you'll need to take the log of the absolute value of the MNL estimates as being the starting value for the mean of log-beta

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk