Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

ICLV model questions

Ask questions about model specifications. Ideally include a mathematical explanation of your proposed model.
cybey

Re: ICLV model questions

Post by cybey »

I would like to ask another question about ICLV model specifications: Is it appropriate to use the same socio-demographic characteristics as explanatory variables for both the latent variable and as covariates for the utility coefficients?

For example, let us assume I would like to test whether gender has an effect on the LV "environmental awareness", which in turn has an effect on the travel mode "bus" (beta coefficient "b_bus"). On the other hand, gender might have an effect on the utility of "bus", which cannot be explained by the indirect effect of the latent variable. In this case, both coefficients could be significant, i. e. the effect of gender on the LV as well as the effect of gender on the beta coefficient "b_bus". But what happens if the effect of gender is (almost) perfectly moderated by the latent variable? Can this cause identification problems? A few papers I have looked into use different socio-demographic characteristics as covariates for the utility parameters and as explanatory variables for the LV.
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi Nico

yes, and in fact, this is in my view the correct approach as it allows you to disentangle the effects. See e.g. http://www.stephanehess.me.uk/papers/jo ... A_2018.pdf

If the LV is used in both the choice part and the measurement model for indicators, but the additional parameters for the same socios are used only in the choice part, then theoretical identification is fine, but of course empirical identification might be dataset specific

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
cybey

Post by cybey »

Hi Stephane,

thanks for the fast reply! I saw this approach for the first time in your paper, but nowhere else. In other papers, different socio-demographic characteristics are usually used as explanatory variables for the latent variables and as covariates.

But just to get this straight: Something like this is okay and does not lead to identification problems?

• b_Income_Price: direct influence of income on the price coefficient
  • gamma_Income_PriceSensitivity: explanatory variable income of the latent variable "PriceSensitivity"
  • lamba_PriceSensitivity_Price: influence of the LV on the price coefficient
  • Indicators of the LV
Nico
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi Nico

yes, this is fine. In fact, any papers that do not attempt to put the same covariates into the utility directly and into the LV are potentially misattributing the source of heterogeneity. This is the same reason why any hybrid choice model should always also incorporate random heterogeneity directly in the utility, not just through the LV

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
cybey

Post by cybey »

Perfect, thanks a lot!