Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

ICLV model scenario (simulation) analysis

Ask questions about post-estimation functions (e.g. prediction, conditionals, etc) or other processing of results.
metrokim217

ICLV model scenario (simulation) analysis

Post by metrokim217 »

Dear Prof. Hess and colleagues,

Thanks for your efforts and help on Apollo modeling. My model is a simple ICLV model that has 4 latent variables (pro-car, pro-bus, env-awareness, and safety) to explain commuting mode choice behavior (car, bus, bike, and walk). In this regard, I have a question regarding ICLV model scenario (simulation) analysis: Based on the manual, I acknowledge how I can simulate change of mode split when, for example, if bus travel time is reduced by 10%.

database$BUS_TIME=(0.9)*database$BUS_TIME
forecast <- apollo_prediction(model, apollo_probabilities, apollo_inputs,
prediction_settings=list(modelComponent='choice'))

However, I'd like to conduct the similar simulation analysis for a latent variable, such as environmental-awareness. (Similar to Section 6 of Hess et al. [2018] paper published in TRA) For example, I'd like to see how the mode choice estimation results may be different if environmental-awareness level of participants in my sample are changed to a certain degree that I'd like to examine.

Could you please provide me with a clue or something how I can conduct this kind of simulation analysis?

Best regards,
Junghwan
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: ICLV model scenario (simulation) analysis

Post by stephanehess »

Hi Junghwan

as discussed by Chorus & Kroesen, it is not advisable to make a change to the latent attitude in forecasting as the scale of this arbitrary. So e.g. a 10% increase is not a meaningful concept. What we did in the 2018 paper is to look at a situation where everyone adopted the attitudes of a given socio-demographic segment. So you can look for example what would happen if all men took on the attitudes of women. You can do this by after estimation changing the definition of the latent variable inside apollo_randCoeff. So e.g. if you had:

randCoeff[["LV"]] = gamma_female * female + eta

where female is a column in the data, you could then change this to:

randCoeff[["LV"]] = gamma_female * 1 + eta

meaning that the gamma_female shift is used for all people.

This is a better approach than making the change in your database as the latter would also change the role of gender in the utility functions net of the latent variable

Best wishes

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
metrokim217

Post by metrokim217 »

Dear Professor Hess,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply! I tried it based on your suggestions, and it worked! Thanks again for your help!

Best wishes,
Junghwan
FuZheng

Post by FuZheng »

Hi! Dear Prof. Hess and colleagues,
I have a similar problem. My model is MDCEV model that has several variables to explain activity choice bahavior(Work,Study,Leisure,Personal Care and Unpaid Work).How I can simulate change of activity mode split , for example, if "Work" time is reduced by 10%?
dpalma

Post by dpalma »

Hi,

In an MDCEV model the amount consumed of each alternative (activity) is your dependent variable, so you cannot calculate the impact of a change in it.I understand you want to understand how a change in consumption in one alternative influences the others, but it cannot be done directly. The only thing you can do is make a change in your explanatory variables that leads to a change in the consumption of one activity, and see how that affects the consumption of the others.

For example, if age positively influences the amount of time assigned to work, you can try increasing the age of individuals in your database, and see how that changes time allocation. I would expect an increase in work and a decrease in other activities.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
David