Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Data with missing Price Information

Ask general questions about data for choice modelling that are not Apollo specific but relevant to Apollo users.
kruupy

Data with missing Price Information

Post by kruupy »

Hi all,

I am trying to conduct a choice analysis on a set of 5 alternatives. The survey data that I am using only has price data available for the choice that the participant made, not the prices for all options (this seems like a common problem with survey data). I have a couple of questions please:

I assume that I should obtain data on each of the other options through imputation methods?
I assume that I include price or cost data for each choice into the model?

Thankyou for your help, and assistance or reference would be greatly appreciated.
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: Data with missing Price Information

Post by stephanehess »

Hi

this is quite a common issue in some areas.

You would indeed need to find the price data for the other alternatives, for example through imputation.

However, it is VERY important that you then impute the price for all alternatives, including the chosen one. It would be unwise to use the observed price for the chosen one alongside the imputed one for the unchosen ones

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
kruupy

Post by kruupy »

Thanks for this.

So I am trying to estimate a model for choice of childcare. My 4 categories are "formal", "informal" (friend/family member), "Other" and "No Childcare" (self). I am hoping to use this model to forecast the demand for childcare.

As I mentioned, I only have price information on the choice that each person made, and as you said I will impute ALL prices for each person and each category based on the subset of price information that I have front he survey data.

However, I think that it is a reasonable assumption to make that "No Childcare" has $0 price, and that the price of "informal" care is also very small. Given this, I may well just be imputing the price for the "Other" and "Formal" categories.

I was also wondering on whether the fact that two of my categories has very low prices would effect the statistical significance of price within the model? - as there is not much variation in prices between categories. Does this thinking make any sense?

Thanks again for your help.
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi

yes, you could make those assumptions.

In terms of your ability to estimate the effects, this really depends on the richness of the trade-offs that you will have in the data

Stephane
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
kruupy

Post by kruupy »

Thanks, one more question if I may.

I plan on using multiple imputation (MICE) (https://stefvanbuuren.name/RECAPworksho ... al_II.html) as my method, do you have any experience with this?

I assume that I should not use the same explanatory variables to impute the price variable as what would be used in my discrete choice model (income, age etc), as this would create multicollinearity between the explanatory variables in the discrete choice model?

Thanks again.
Last edited by kruupy on 18 Sep 2023, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi

whether this causes problems is going to depend on other factors relating to your model specification. The key issue with imputation is whether you believe that for people with missing information, the link between the explanators and that variable is the same as for those without missing information. Have a look at https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocm.2014.10.001

Stephane
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk