Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Prediction of mixed MDCEV models

Report bugs or highlight issues with Apollo functions. At a minimum, please include the part of the output where you believe the bug is manifested. Ideally, please share your model file.
yschung

Prediction of mixed MDCEV models

Post by yschung »

Dear all

I have two questions concerning the application of ‘apollo_prediction’ to MDCEV and mixed MDCEV models.

1. Following the instructions in the manual, I could get the predicted values (mean and standard deviation) for each alternative at the observation level when the input model was an MDCEV model. But, when I replaced the MDCEV model with a mixed MDCEV model (I added error components to the baseline utility function to the original MDCEV model) in the apollo_prediction command, I got only one value for each observation (the column head was ‘predictions’). How could I get the mean and standard deviation of the predicted values for each alternative in predicting a mixed MDCEV model? Part of the different prediction results is shown in the attached screenshots.

2. Instead of the summarized means and standard deviations, would it be possible to obtain the 200 simulated draws?

Any feedbacks are welcome. Thank you.

Regards,
Yishih
Attachments
prediction-mixed MDCEV
prediction-mixed MDCEV
prediction-mixed MDCEV.png (65.39 KiB) Viewed 6688 times
prediction-traditional MDCEV
prediction-traditional MDCEV
prediction-MDCEV.png (41.56 KiB) Viewed 6688 times
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: Prediction of mixed MDCEV models

Post by stephanehess »

Hi Yishih

On point 1, this was a bug. This has been fixed in v0.1.1 which you can download from http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/code.html already and which will be released on CRAN sometime this summer

On point 2, sorry, but these means and standard deviations are computed inside the code in an iterative manner and the values for the individual runs are not stored.

Best wishes

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
yschung

Re: Prediction of mixed MDCEV models

Post by yschung »

Dear Dr. Hess:

Thank you for the prompt response. I was able to get the summarized statistics for each alternative by using the v0.0.1.

Regards,
Yishih