Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Major difference between frequentist and HB results for apollo_mnl component

Report bugs or highlight issues with Apollo functions. At a minimum, please include the part of the output where you believe the bug is manifested. Ideally, please share your model file.
tomas.rossetti

Major difference between frequentist and HB results for apollo_mnl component

Post by tomas.rossetti »

Hi David and Stephane,

I am estimating two ICLVs (different data and model specifications) where at least one of the indicators I'm interested in is a binary outcome. The measurement function for that indicator is a binary logit, and the "utility" is equal to U = c_0 + z_1 * LV. I'm also using ordered indicators with ordered probits and a "utility" equal to z_i * LV.

For one model, frequentist estimation gives z_1 = 2.2, which is reasonable and consistent with the indicator and the scale of LV. Using Bayesian estimation, z_1 "shoots up" to very high values and never stabilizes, no matter the number of iterations I give it. Something similar happens to the other ICLV.

I've tried estimating this model with and without an error term, fixing the parameters of the structural equation, etc., and this still keeps happening. My gut feeling is that this behavior is most likely due to something going on either in Apollo (running 0.2.6) or RSGHB (1.2.2).

I can share the code and data offline.

Thanks!
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: Major difference between frequentist and HB results for apollo_mnl component

Post by stephanehess »

Tomas

can you share the output as a first step, please?

Thanks

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
tomas.rossetti

Re: Major difference between frequentist and HB results for apollo_mnl component

Post by tomas.rossetti »

Hi Stephane,

So sorry, I just realized it was a mistake on my part. In the MNL settings, I specified ows (no r) instead of rows. I guess that produced some kind of mistake in the sampling procedure.

It might be useful to have some kind of error message for this in the future.

Thanks again
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Tomas

such typos would mean that the setting is ignored (and we will add a check in a future version to alert the user to this).

However, it's not clear why this would have affected your model, unless you had rows specified correctly in one model, but not in the other?

Stephane
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
tomas.rossetti

Post by tomas.rossetti »

Stephane,

I can't figure out how exactly a very high z_i would fit the model better. I'll let you know if I find more information, and please let me know if you'd like to look into it yourself.

Tomás
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Sure, happy to look if you can share your code and data by e-mail
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk