Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Bug in apollo_prediction

Report bugs or highlight issues with Apollo functions. At a minimum, please include the part of the output where you believe the bug is manifested. Ideally, please share your model file.
tomas.rossetti

Bug in apollo_prediction

Post by tomas.rossetti »

Hi,

I'm encountering an error in apollo_prediction. Here's the message:

Code: Select all

forecast = apollo_prediction(model, apollo_probabilities, inputs)
Your model contains continuous random parameters. apollo_prediction will perform averaging across draws
  for these. For predictions at the level of individual draws, please call the apollo_probabilities
  function using model$estimate as the parameters, and with functionality="raw".
Running predictions from model using parameter estimates...
Predicted aggregated demand at model estimates
Error in colSums(M, na.rm = TRUE) : 'x' must be numeric
I'm running this on a Mac using version 0.2.2 and R 4.0.3.

Thanks!
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: Bug in apollo_prediction

Post by stephanehess »

Tomas

thanks, but we need some more details, e.g. on the model you're using

Thanks

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
tomas.rossetti

Post by tomas.rossetti »

It is a mixed logit model in WTP space, 2500 Sobol draws, and three alternatives.

Please let me know if you'd like more information, I'd be happy to help.
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Tomas

thanks for sending me the data to test. This is indeed a bug, and is caused by the fact that the respondent IDs in your data are characters rather than numbers. R then turns the whole matrix of predictions into characters, and then can't take the average.

Until we fix this bug in v.0.2.4, the easy workaround for you is to turn your IDs into numeric ones

Best wishes

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
tomas.rossetti

Post by tomas.rossetti »

Thank you Stephane.

Just so you know, I've also noticed that posterior parameter means and standard deviations obtained using apollo_conditionals are returned as characters instead of numbers. It's not much of a problem, but the same numbers to characters issue could be behind that.

All the best,

Tomás
dpalma

Post by dpalma »

Thank you for pointing this out, Tomás. We will fix it in v0.2.4.

Cheers
David