Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Hybrid choice modelling.

Ask questions about existing examples and put in requests to software developers and users for other example implementations of models.
Niranjan

Hybrid choice modelling.

Post by Niranjan »

I was looking at the hybrid choice modelling example from the following paper.

Hess, S., & Hensher, D. A. (2013). Making use of respondent reported processing information to understand attribute importance: a latent variable scaling approach. Transportation, 40(2), 397-412.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 012-9420-y

I have one or two questions regrading the estimation.

1) In the paper we can see that the hybrid model is developed by integrating the probabilities of equation (7) and equation (8), can we first do the
analysis from equation (7) separately and the analysis for the equation 8) separately?

2) Is there a example of such model in combination ? Its slightly confusing from the examples of hybrid choice, because here the attribute importance (considered as latent variables, already have observed values.) Furthermore there are no attitudinal questions for the modelling i am trying to do.

And lastly are there output files of the examples somewhere?
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: Hybrid choice modelling.

Post by stephanehess »

Hi

1) yes, you can of course estimate a hybrid choice model sequentially too, but it is less statistically efficient to do so.

2) I don't completely understand your question. Are you looking for an example of a sequential model? Also, when you say you do not have attitudinal questions, hybrid choice models can be used for non-attitudinal indicators too of course, as in the paper you refer to, where the indicators are the stated non-attendance. The paper treats actual attribute importance as unobserved, and uses indicators of stated non-attendance as dependent variables.

We will add the outputs from model estimation of all examples to the website, but it will take us a few days, thanks for the suggestion

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
Niranjan

Post by Niranjan »

Thank you for the reply, Dr Hess.

Sorry, if i was little confusing with the second question. I just have one final confusion, from what i understand the paper uses indicators of stated non-attendance as dependent variables in the choice modelling part, but uses the actual importance as the dependent variable in the initial binary logit part. Am i correct here?

If i am correct, the binary logit will help us understand what are the indicators and we will use these indicator to the hybrid model as dependent variable.
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi

sorry, that interpretation is not quite correct.

The indicators of stated non-attendance are used as dependent variables not in the choice modelling part but in the measurement model. The link between the choice model and the measurement model is made by the latent attribute importance, which explains both the scale of parameters in the choice model and the stated attribute attendance in the measurement model

Best wishes

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
Niranjan

Post by Niranjan »

Thankyou Dr Hess for the clearance,

I think my use of words were confusing, but your explanation makes it clear.