Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

P-values for deltaMethod_settings

Ask questions about post-estimation functions (e.g. prediction, conditionals, etc) or other processing of results.
marah

P-values for deltaMethod_settings

Post by marah »

I have two small questions about deltaMethod_settings:

1) Is there any way to get it to report p-values? If not, how do I use the bootstrap method to calculate confidence intervals? (I've read this is a possibility on the forum but can't figure out how it works based on the manual.)
2) If I want to test whether two coefficients in a latent class analysis are statistically different, can I include something like (isdiff = "beta_systemcost_a+beta_systemcost_c") in the list for the deltaMethod_settings? Or is there another way I should be doing it?

Thanks,

Mara
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: P-values for deltaMethod_settings

Post by stephanehess »

Mara

1. the function currently reports standard errors and t-ratios. From the t-ratio, you can of course easily calculate the p-value. I've added the feature now to do this automatically from version 0.2.8 onwards, but for now, you can easily do it manually too. Just use (1-stats::pnorm(abs(trat))) where trat is the value you get for the t-ratio. This is for a one-sided p-value, so you can multiply the outcome by 2 if you want two-sided

For confidence intervals, you can use the standard errors given by the delta method, so you can use value+-1.96*se, for example

2. To know whether two parameters are different, you just need to test if their difference is different from 0. So e.g. expression=c(difference="beta_systemcost_a+beta_systemcost_c")

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
marah

Post by marah »

Thanks Stephane.

For the second question, do you mean I put that in the list for the deltaMethod_settings? Hence using a Delta method approach? Or is there a way to conduct a joint F-test using a command like linearHypothesis?
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Yes, using a Delta method. This is the standard approach, and is an exact calculation reflecting the maximum likelihood estimate properties - see http://www.stephanehess.me.uk/papers/jo ... B_2012.pdf
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
marah

Post by marah »

Yes, that's what I was thinking, thanks for clarifying.