Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Delta method for lognormal parameters

Ask questions about post-estimation functions (e.g. prediction, conditionals, etc) or other processing of results.
Andy

Delta method for lognormal parameters

Post by Andy »

Dear Stephane Hess,

I estimated a mixed logit model with lognormal random parameters.

According to the manual, I used the following expression:

exp(mu_log_beta + sigma_log_beta_inter * draws_beta_inter)

Furthermore, I used the Delta method to calculate the mean and standard deviation of the lognormal coefficient "beta".

Using the Delta method in Apollo, I also obtain the robust t-ratio for "SD for exp(N( mu_log_beta , sigma_log_beta_inter )".

Now I am struggling with the interpretation of the results. According to the estimation results, "sigma_log_beta_inter" is significantly different from zero. Therefore, I conclude that significant inter-individual heterogeneity is present. However, the t-ratio from the Delta method does not confirm this result. The SD of the lognormal "beta" is not significantly different from zero.

Now I wonder if I should use the one or the other for my statement on the significance of inter-individual heterogeneity. Is there an easy answer?

Kind regards
Andy
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: Delta method for lognormal parameters

Post by stephanehess »

Andy

could you please show the outputs so we can help. We need to see the estimates, the robust covariance matrix, and also the outputs of the delta method

Thanks

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
Andy

Post by Andy »

Dear Stephane,

Thanks a lot. Here they are.

I am sorry for the bad format. I did not know how to include tables here.

Estimates:
Estimate Rob.std.err. Rob.t.ratio(0)
mu_log_beta 0.0685 0.1716 0.4
sigma_log_beta_inter 0.5892 0.2025 2.91

Robust covariance matrix:
mu_log_beta sigma_log_beta_inter
mu_log_beta 0.0294 0.0252
sigma_log_beta_inter 0.0252 0.0410

Delta method:

Please note: I did not apply the delta method directly after estimation but reloaded the model using "apollo_loadModel" at a later point in time

> deltaMethod_settings <- list(operation="lognormal", parName1="mu_log_beta", parName2="sigma_log_beta_inter")
> apollo_deltaMethod(model, deltaMethod_settings)
WARNING: Could not retrieve apollo_control.
Assuming this model was not estimated using HB.
Running Delta method computations
Value Robust s.e. Rob t-ratio (0)
Mean for exp(N( mu_log_beta , sigma_log_beta_inter ) 1.2739 0.3450 3.69
SD for exp(N( mu_log_beta , sigma_log_beta_inter ) 0.8206 0.5425 1.51

Kind regards
Andy
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi Andy

the output makes sense. The mean and standard deviation for a Lognormal distribution are BOTH a function of BOTH the mean and the standard deviation of the underlying Normal. The mean for the underlying Normal has a high standard error in your case and this then translates into the higher standard error for the standard deviation for the Lognormal.

Of course, if your model is improving fit over a model without heterogeneity, then you can still use that as evidence that you are improving the model by including the heterogeneity

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
Andy

Post by Andy »

Dear Stephane,

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply.

Kind regards
Andy