Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

Estimating Covariates with Unlabelled Alternatives

Ask questions about model specifications. Ideally include a mathematical explanation of your proposed model.
biancar

Estimating Covariates with Unlabelled Alternatives

Post by biancar »

Hello,

Do you have any example of estimating the effects of covariates (e.g. gender, age group) on categorical attributes with unlabelled alternatives in a MMNL model? I see there are multiple examples of covariates incorporated in the analysis of labelled alternatives (e.g. shifts for females on mode choice) on this website and in the forum. From what I see (e.g. example Apollo file 3), covariates are added to the alternatives: "Create alternative specific constants and coefficients using interactions with socio-demographics". But I'm not interested in whether females were more likely to choose alternative 1 over 2. So instead I've tried factoring in my covariate (sex) into my utility equations. However when I did this I got an error message stating "Error in apollo_estimate(apollo_beta, apollo_fixed, apollo_probabilities, : Parameter fare_est_a does not influence the log-likelihood of your model!"
dpalma

Re: Estimating Covariates with Unlabelled Alternatives

Post by dpalma »

Hi,

In MNL models the only thing that matters is the difference between utilities. Consider, for example, an MNL model with two alternatives, each having deterministic utilities V1 and V2. Then their probabilities can be written as:
P(y=1) = exp(V1) / ( exp(V1) + exp(V2) ) = 1 / ( 1 + exp(V2 - V1) )
P(y=2) = exp(V2) / ( exp(V1) + exp(V2) ) = 1 / ( 1 + exp(V1 - V2) )
As you can see from the expressions above, anything that is the same in V1 and V2 will drop out of the probability expression, so it won't influence the probability, nor the likelihood, so it can't be estimated.

I imagine your specification is somethings similar to:

Code: Select all

V[['alt1']] = b*x1 + bHigh*highIncome
V[['alt2']] = b*x2 + bHigh*highIncome
Where "b" and "bHigh" are parameters to be estimated. You can see that V2-V1 = b*(x2-x1), with bHigh*highIncome dropping out of the expression. This also applies to MMNL models, as they are also based on MNL models.

To estimate the effect of sociodemographics in non-labelled experiments you basically have two approaches. The first approach is to use different coefficients for each alternative and set one alternative as base. For example:

V[['alt1']] = b*x1 # this is the base alternative, so there are no sociodemographics in its utility
V[['alt2']] = b*x2 + bHigh2*highIncome
V[['alt3']] = b*x3 + bHigh3*highIncome
Another alternative is using interactions between attributes that change from one alternative to the next (like "x" in the example) and the sociodemographics. For example:

V[['alt1']] = (b + bHigh*highIncome)*x1
V[['alt2']] = (b + bHigh*highIncome)*x2
You can mix both approaches, using one approach for some explanatory variables (some "x") and the other approach for other explanatory variables.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Cheers
David