Important: Read this before posting to this forum

1. This forum is for questions related to the use of Apollo. We will answer some general choice modelling questions too, where appropriate, and time permitting. We cannot answer questions about how to estimate choice models with other software packages.
  2. There is a very detailed manual for Apollo available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/manual.html. This contains detailed descriptions of the various Apollo functions, and numerous examples are available at http://www.ApolloChoiceModelling.com/examples.html. In addition, help files are available for all functions, using e.g. ?apollo_mnl
  3. Before asking a question on the forum, users are kindly requested to follow these steps:
    1. Check that the same issue has not already been addressed in the forum - there is a search tool.
    2. Ensure that the correct syntax has been used. For any function, detailed instructions are available directly in Apollo, e.g. by using ?apollo_mnl for apollo_mnl
    3. Check the frequently asked questions section on the Apollo website, which discusses some common issues/failures. Please see http://www.apollochoicemodelling.com/faq.html
    4. Make sure that R is using the latest official release of Apollo.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then users should follow these steps when posting a question:
    1. provide full details on the issue, including the entire code and output, including any error messages
    2. posts will not immediately appear on the forum, but will be checked by a moderator first. This may take a day or two at busy times. There is no need to submit the post multiple times.

How to choose random parameters for MMNL model

Ask questions about model specifications. Ideally include a mathematical explanation of your proposed model.
Shan

How to choose random parameters for MMNL model

Post by Shan »

Dear Sir,

I attended your incredible Apollo course last November in London. Now, I am using Apollo to analysis my data. However, I am confused about which parameters should be chosen as random parameters in MMNL model. Should I only choose those parameters which were statistically significant in MNL model as random ones while keep others fixed?

Thank you for your time.
Shan
stephanehess
Site Admin

Re: How to choose random parameters for MMNL model

Post by stephanehess »

Dear Shan

it is always impossible to know a priori which parameters are the right ones in terms of allowing for random heterogeneity. It is quite possible that random heterogeneity exists for most or all your coefficients. If you only allow for random heterogeneity in some of them, you will of course have an inferior model, but you may also get biased findings in terms of the heterogeneity for others, or indeed model parameters in general. But of course, it is often computationally difficult to use random heterogeneity for all parameters.

In general, a good approach is to first incorporate some deterministic heterogeneity, i.e. including socio-demographic effects, for example. This will reduce the scope for remaining random heterogeneity. But then in the next stage, you should really test for random heterogeneity in all the key parameters.

In terms of your comment about MNL and insignificant parameters in that model, it is not unheard of to have a case where a parameter is insignificant in MNL but becomes significant in a Mixed Logit model

I hope this helps, although I'm aware it raises more questions than answers!

Best wishes

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk
Shan

Post by Shan »

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for your detailed reply. As you suggest, I incorporated socio-demographic factors into the Mixed MNL model, while assuming all parameters were random. From the analysis results, I found that some of the parameters were statistically significant based on their estimated standard deviations. Also, I examined some combinations of random and fixed parameters. My question now is that could I only keep parameters that consistently showed significant standard deviation as random, while others fixed?

Best,
Shan
stephanehess
Site Admin

Post by stephanehess »

Hi Shan

yes, you should be able to make those parameters non-random where the standard deviations are not significant. Keep an eye on your model fit too to see if you're not losing fit by doing so

Best wishes

Stephane
--------------------------------
Stephane Hess
www.stephanehess.me.uk